Cherry Tomato Bombs Recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, optional
- 4 cups slightly underripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 sprig fresh parsley, optional
- 2 stems fresh basil, optional
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, optional
- 3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 4 cups distilled water (free of chlorine)
- Place the spices in a clean, sterilized quart jar. Add the tomatoes, leaving 11⁄2 inches of headspace. Add the herbs. Set the jar aside.
- In a large bowl or stockpot, combine the salt and water. Stir until the salt is mostly dissolved.
- Pour the salt brine over the tomatoes, leaving about 1 inch of headspace, and add a fermentation weight.
- Cover the jar with cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and secure with a rubber band.
- Set the jar in a dark place to ferment for about 1 week. Check daily after 5 days. When they’re ready, the tomatoes will burst in your mouth.
- When they’re done, remove the weight, cover the jar with a lid, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 weeks. This will allow the tomatoes to gain a more explosive flavor. Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Photo by Getty Images/GMVozd
Yields 1 quart.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. She enjoys doing crafts, hanging out with her Labrador retrievers, and trying new recipes.