10 servings SERVINGS
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Onto a sheet of wax paper, sift cake flour with cocoa and 1⁄2 cup sugar four times. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle cream of tartar over the top, and continue beating until mixture holds a stiff peak, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla, and gradually beat in 1 cup sugar.
- Using a spatula, gradually fold flour mixture into egg white mixture, about 1⁄4 cup at a time.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 9-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven, invert, and allow cake to cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle sliced strawberries with remaining sugar. Stir to coat, and let stand for about 30 minutes to allow their juices to develop.
- Serve berries alongside cake.Check out these other recipes from Trisha Yearwood.
Reprinted with permission from Trisha’s Table. Copyright © 2015 by Trisha Yearwood. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.