Corned Beef Brisket with Roasted Vegetables Recipe
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds boneless corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound savoy OR green cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lemon-Mustard Sauce (recipe follows)
- Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place corned beef brisket in a roasting pan; sprinkle garlic, contents of seasoning packet and peppercorns around brisket. Add water; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Braise in upper third of oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile place carrots, parsnips and cabbage on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and ground pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Roast in lower third of oven, with brisket, for 55 minutes. Uncover; continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.
- Remove brisket from roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 of brisket (about 12 ounces), 3/4 cup each carrots and parsnips and 1/2 cup Lemon-Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef & Roasted Vegetable Salad With Lemon-Dill Dressing (see recipe).
- Carve remaining brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with remaining roasted vegetables and Lemon-Mustard Sauce.
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil• 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot• 2/3 cup sour cream• 1/3 cup Dijon-style mustard• 1 tablespoon lemon juice• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill• 1 teaspoon honey• 1/4 teaspoon salt• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; cook and stir for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat; cool for 1 minute. Stir in sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, fresh dill and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Cover; set aside. This recipe originally ran in the March 2006 edition of Heart of the Home.
More corned beef recipes:
More Heart of the Home recipes:
- • Cranberry Glazed Cinnamon Roll Recipe• Hazelnut Waffles with Cranberry Pear Sauce Recipe• Tangy Lemon Breakfast Fruit Strata Recipe