12 servings SERVINGS
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (shaken before pouring from container)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place flour in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut shortening in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Use a fork to stir in buttermilk to make a soft dough, or until dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl. Continue stirring with the fork until all flour is worked into the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board, and knead 3 or 4 times, until dough is smooth and manageable.
- With your hands or a floured rolling pin, flatten dough to a thickness of 1⁄2 inch. Cut dough with a floured 2 1⁄2-inch biscuit cutter. Place dough rounds on prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart for crisp biscuits or almost touching for softer biscuits.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.Try these other great recipes from Trisha Yearwood.
Reprinted with permission from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen. Copyright © 2008 by Trisha Yearwood. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.