Enjoy a satisfying breakfast without all the guilt
It’s been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In addition to providing the necessary energy to get up and go, studies have shown that those who eat a healthy breakfast have better overall diets, improved concentration and performance during the day, and more strength and endurance for physical activity. Unfortunately, the traditional hot breakfast – eggs, meat and potatoes – can add fat and calories to your plate. With a few simple substitutions, however, you can still enjoy a hearty, satisfying morning meal without all the guilt.
For more recipes and food ideas, visit the Web site at www.SeeVeggiesDifferently.com.
Easy Brunch Focaccia
- 1 tube (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza dough
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 maple-flavored veggie sausage patties, thawed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or 1 can (8 oz.) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll dough onto baking sheet and press dough into a 10-by-14-inch rectangle.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in sage and pepper. Spread over dough. Top with sausage pieces and pineapple.
- Bake at 425°F. for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Cut into rectangles and serve warm.
Yields 6 servings.
Pancake Wrap Recipe
- 6 frozen multigrain or buttermilk pancakes
- 3 maple-flavored veggiesausage patties
- 1 tablespoon apple, cherry or strawberry preserves
- Prepare pancakes according to package directions.
- Cook sausage patties according to package directions. Cut each patty in half.
- Spread preserves on warm pancakes. Top each with a patty half. Fold pancakes around patties and serve immediately.
Yields 3 servings.
Italian Frittata Recipe
- 1 cup refrigerated egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 4 ounces veggie breakfast sausage links, thawed
- 1/4 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded fat-free or reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg sub-stitute, milk, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; cook bell pepper, broccoli and sausage links over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook egg mixture over medium-low heat until set. Top with bell pepper mixture and mushrooms; sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover tightly and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Yields 2 servings.
Online pet lovers’ gathering spot hosts animal shelter makeover contest
Zootoo.com, a Web site created for pet lovers, is giving away a makeover to one lucky animal shelter.
Arbor Day’s approach provides opportunity to volunteer or plant a tree
Celebrate Arbor Day by supporting local organizations that plant trees, or add one to your own yard.
Travel: Spring Travel Savings
Everyone seems to be on a tighter budget these days. Many families are looking for effective ways to trim back or manage costs so they don’t miss out on a much-needed opportunity to get away.