“Grapenuts” cereal is extremely easy to make straight from your very own kitchen. Please stop purchasing the expensive stuff you find in the stores and start making your own.
There are no fancy ingredients to purchase. use a natural sweetener like honey, molasses or maple syrup. Do a combination if you like. The sky is the limit when making your own natural “grapenuts” toasted cereal.
One of our favorites way to use our “grapenuts” cereal is to sprinkle it on top of yogurt. We include it in our mix of freshly made granola for a snack. The kids like to eat it by the handful.
- 7 Cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups sweetener (honey, maple syrup or molasses)
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the sweetener, buttermilk, butter and maple flavoring.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spread out onto two large baking sheets
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes
- Cool and break up with your hands.
- Return to baking sheets and bake at 250 degrees for one hour.
- Stirring every 15 minutes.
- Store in a air tight container.
Photos courtesy of Candy Kage