Homemade Chili Recipe
1 hr 40 min
Yields 12 to 16 servings
- 1/2 pound pinto beans, washed
- 5 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large green pepper, chopped
- Hot peppers, chopped, optional
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
- In a large stockpot, soak the beans overnight in water.
- Drain beans, and return to the same pot. Cover with fresh water, and simmer, covered, until tender. Add tomatoes, and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Heat butter in a skillet. Add and cook peppers and onions until tender. Add garlic. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add beef and pork to skillet, and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease. Stir in onion mixture and chili powder, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir meat mixture into bean mixture. Add salt, pepper, and cumin seed. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover, and cook for another 30 minutes.