2 hr 45 min DURATION
45 min COOK TIME
2 hr PREP TIME
1 loaf SERVINGS
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 slightly rounded tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 heaping tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 level cups whole-wheat flour, preferably stone ground
- 2 level cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pour lukewarm water into a large bowl, and sprinkle dry yeast over the top. Stir in honey and oil. Add flours and salt, and knead vigorously for 7 minutes. As you knead, give the bowl a whirl with each motion. Cover bowl, and let dough rise in a medium-warm place for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead again. Form into a ball, and cut the ball down the middle. Place each half into a well-greased loaf pan, and pat into loaves. Cover and let rise for about 40 minutes.
- About 20 minutes into rise, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes, or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.