1 hr 40 min DURATION
70 min COOK TIME
30 min PREP TIME
12 servings SERVINGS
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons, melted
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- Grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a Bundt pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together softened butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat in lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, sour cream, and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Gradually add remaining sugar, and beat until combined. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture with 1/3 of the egg whites. Gradually, and gently, fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for about 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make a glaze by blending powdered sugar, remaining lemon juice, and melted butter with an electric mixer until blended and smooth.
- Allow cake to cool completely, then transfer it to a cake platter, and drizzle glaze over the top.