Make-Ahead Dinner Rolls Recipe
1 hr 30 min
Yield 1-1/2 dozen rolls
1 cup milk, scalded and cooled slightly
1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
1⁄4 cup prepared mashed potatoes
1⁄4 cup sugar, or to taste
1-1⁄2 packages (.25 ounce each) active dry yeast, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, shortening, potatoes and sugar.
- Add dissolved yeast mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in egg.
- In another large bowl, sift together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Gradually add to potato mixture, mixing after each addition, until dough holds together well.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake rolls, grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Shape dough into balls a little bigger than golf balls. Place dough balls in prepared pan, and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- About 15 minutes before rise is complete, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake rolls for about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.