Recipe for Mashed Potatoes With Olive Oil and Herbs
1 / 2
Herbed olive oil mashed potatoes just might become a family favorite.
Photo by Fotolia/annamavritta
2 / 2
6 to 8 servings
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 to 4 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste, divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Minced fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot and add water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. When water reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add oil and reserved cooking water. Mash with a potato masher, then stir in basil, parsley, tarragon, pepper and additional salt, if needed.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish as desired.Looking for more out-of-the-ordinary Christmas recipes? Try some of our other Non-Traditional Holiday Recipes.