• 1⁄2 cup sugar
• 4 tablespoons butter, softened
• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup applesauce
• 1 1⁄4 cups flour
• 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, divided
• 1 bag (12 ounces) white baking chips, divided
• Vanilla ice cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter, and cream cheese. Beat in egg. Stir in applesauce.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and mix to blend. Add to applesauce mixture, and beat until thoroughly combined.
4. Fold half the nuts and half the baking chips into the batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Spread remaining chips and nuts over the top, and return to oven to melt the chips slightly.
7. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
8. Serve alone, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.