“I went through my entire childhood thinking I hated asparagus,” Trisha says. “It was green. I was a kid. Need I say more?” She says she was 30-plus years old before she finally tried it, and now she loves it any way it’s prepared.
• 2 pounds fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
• 12 slices bacon
• 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
• 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Divide asparagus spears into 12 bundles. Carefully wrap 1 slice of bacon around each bundle, starting about 1⁄2 inch from bottom of tips. Secure bacon-wrapped spears with a toothpick, and lay bundles in a low-sided casserole dish.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Pour hot mixture over bundles in dish.
4. Roast in oven for 25 minutes, or until spears have begun to wilt and bacon looks fully cooked.
5. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. Copyright © 2010 by Trisha Yearwood. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.