Autumn Apple Bread Recipe
• 1/4 cup lard
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups raw, coarsely ground apples
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
• 2/3 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a standard-size loaf pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream lard and sugar together with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into another bowl, and whisk to combine.
4. Alternately add flour mixture and apples to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in lemon rind and nuts.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool bread completely on a wire rack before turning out of pan.
Want more homemade bread recipes from the Capper’s Farmer editors? Read Homemade Quick Bread Recipes.