What autumn side dish is more delicious than flavorful sweet potatoes? Photo by Zac Williams.
Provide a fall feast for 12-14 people with your harvested bounty of sweet potatoes.
- 3 to 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (20 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Layer sweet potatoes, pie filling, and raisins in a 12-inch Dutch oven. Sprinkle with allspice. Top with butter.
Cover with the lid, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour, using 10 coals underneath the oven and 16 coals on top.
Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients in a saucepan and heat over a camp stove or a bed of 10 to 12 coals until the sugar clings to the pecans.
Pour topping onto a plastic cutting board to cool, then chop coarsely and sprinkle over potatoes.
More Dutch Oven Recipes:
- Cooking Beyond the Kitchen
- Chunky Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
- Cola Brisket Recipe
- Dutch Oven Pizza Recipe
- Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Drizzle Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Dutch Oven: Cajun and Creole by Bill Ryan, published by Gibbs Smith.