Barbecued Pulled Pork Pasta ‘n’ Cheese Recipe
Turn ordinary pasta into a comforting meal with the addition of barbecued pulled pork, along with a combination of three cheeses.
Yields about 6 servings.
- 16 ounces cavatappi or other pasta
- 2 cups leftover pulled pork
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine pulled pork and barbecue sauce, and mix well; set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour to form a roux, and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking vigorously, until mixture is smooth. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, whisking often, until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in salt and pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard, and paprika, mixing well.
- In a large bowl, combine cheddar, mozzarella, and Gouda cheeses, and mix well. Add 2/3 of the cheese blend to the sauce mixture, and stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain well, and pour into a large bowl. Add cheese sauce, and stir to coat. Turn mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese blend and pulled pork mixture over pasta mixture. With a spoon, gently swirl cheese and pork into pasta mixture. You want it lightly mixed, but not incorporated.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to a low broil, and broil for 5 minutes, or until top is golden-brown with crispy bits of cheese and pork.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.