This recipe is a healthier alternative to two fast-food favorites. These portable wraps are perfect for families on the go.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 6-inch fajita flour tortillas
- 1 red tomato, cut into 4 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small green leaf lettuce leaves, divided into 4 pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices, pulled into rings
- 12 dill pickle slices
- Separate ground beef into 4 equal portions; form each into a thin, half-moon-shaped patty.
- Place patties in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- When patties are almost cooked, place cheddar cheese slices on each patty and allow cheese to melt. Remove cheeseburgers. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Place a hot cheeseburger on half of a warmed tortilla; top with a tomato slice, lettuce leaf, onion rings and pickle slices. Fold tortilla in half.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2008 edition of Capper’s Farmer.