Put a butter-horseradish mixture on the potatoes and cabbage wedges before placing them in the oven.
Photo by GettyImages/chas53
- 1 boneless corned beef brisket with seasoning packet (3 1/2 to 4 lbs.)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, including white and green parts
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head green cabbage, cored, cut into 6 wedges (1 to 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1-1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place corned beef brisket in a roasting pan; sprinkle garlic, contents of seasoning packet and peppercorns around and over brisket. Add water; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Braise in the upper third of oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile place butter, green onions, horseradish, ground pepper and salt in a glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until butter melts; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 tablespoons for Rustic Corned Beef & Potato Bake.
- Place cabbage wedges on half of a baking sheet and potatoes on other half. Drizzle remaining horseradish-butter mixture over vegetables, turning cabbage and tossing potatoes to coat. Cover with aluminum foil. Roast in lower third of oven with brisket for 55 minutes. Uncover vegetables; continue roasting for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.
- Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Remove cooked brisket from roasting pan; place on rack in broiler pan so surface of brisket is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Brush glaze over brisket; broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until glaze is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 of brisket (about 12 oz.) and 2 cups potatoes for Rustic Corned Beef & Potato Bake. Serve remaining brisket and potatoes with cabbage. Yields 4 servings.
This recipe originally aired in the March 2007 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
More from Capper's Farmer: