Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
• 1 whole chicken (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
• Scant 1/2 cup white vinegar
• Scant 1/2 cup coarse salt
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 4 to 5 teaspoons salt, or to taste
• 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
• 3 eggs
• Shortening, for frying
1. Cut chicken into 8 pieces – 2 wings, 2 legs, 2 thighs, and 2 breasts. Reserve the back for making homemade stock.
2. Pour vinegar and coarse salt into a 2-quart pitcher, and add enough water to fill. Stir to dissolve salt. Divide and place chicken pieces into two 1-gallon zipper-seal bags. Add equal amounts of marinade mixture to each bag. Seal bags, squeezing out as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator to marinate for 3 hours.
3. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place on a baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, to allow chicken to warm up.
4. In a large plastic or paper bag, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Shake bag to blend ingredients thoroughly. Set aside.
5. Place eggs in a bowl, and beat well.
6. Dip a piece of chicken in the eggs, then place in the bag, and shake to coat. Remove chicken from the bag, and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Let the pieces stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to look wet. Coat each piece a second time by dipping them in egg and then shaking in the coating mixture. Remove from bag and place on a plate.
7. When all chicken pieces are coated, add enough shortening to your frying pan so that the chicken pieces will be half-covered, and begin heating the oil to 360 F.
8. When the oil reaches 360 F, carefully add chicken pieces, being careful not to crowd them. Increase temperature and bring oil back up to 350 F as quickly as possible. Fry, turning pieces initially after 30 seconds, and then every 2 minutes, until chicken pieces reach the proper internal temperature. Take the temperature at the thickest part of each piece, to make sure they're cooked through.
9. Remove chicken pieces from frying pan, and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.