This recipe originally aired in the November 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 frozen turkey (14 lbs.), thawed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Combine barbecue sauce, corn syrup, coffee and cumin in a glass measuring cup.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring once, or until coffee is dissolved.
- Add margarine; stir until melted. Set glaze aside to cool.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard.
- Drain juices from turkey; pat dry with paper towels.
- Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on a flat roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Spray turkey with cooking spray.
- Bake turkey for 2 hours; brush turkey while baking with some of the glaze.
- Loosely cover breast and tops of drumsticks with aluminum foil to prevent overcooking of breast and to keep from browning too much.
- Continue baking turkey for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted in deepest part of thigh, brushing with additional glaze after 30 minutes.
- Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before carving.