- Vegetable oil, for oiling pan
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cool water, divided
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- Peppermint Marshmallows: At the end of Step 4, add 1 teaspoon mint extract, and beat for 30 seconds.Chocolate Marshmallows:After Step 1, mix 6 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water in a small bowl until a smooth paste forms, and set aside.
- In Step 2, sift 1/4 cup cocoa with powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- In Step 5, beat the cocoa paste into the gelatin mixture before adding the boiled mixture.Lavender Marshmallows:Before Step 1, bring 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons dried lavender to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Set aside and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and reserve the liquid; discard the lavender.
- In Steps 3 and 4, use lavender water instead of cool water.Coffee Marshmallows:Before Step 1, dissolve 6 tablespoons instant espresso in 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In Steps 3 and 4, use the espresso instead of cool water.