Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out, or 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place a 9-by-13-inch baking dish in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whipping cream, half-and-half, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in vanilla bean seeds, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour ice cream mixture into prepared pan.
- Place pan in freezer for 30 minutes, or until edges of mixture begin to set.
- Using a hand mixer, beat mixture in pan until smooth and creamy.
- Cover pan with a lid or cling wrap, and return to freezer until firm, about 3 hours, beating with mixer every 30 minutes.
NOTE: If preferred, this can also be prepared in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. You can also create different flavors with the addition of chocolate syrup or chunks, fruit, or candy pieces.