Mexican Corn Soup
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
• 1/4 cup sliced green onions
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1-1/2 cups salsa
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 can (12 ounces) sweet corn, drained
• 2-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
• Tortilla chips and cilantro, for garnish
1. Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan. Add green pepper, green onions and garlic, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Gradually stir in chicken broth and salsa. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
2. Remove and discard bay leaf. Add corn and 1-1/2 cups cheese, and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
3. Top each serving with tortilla chips, cilantro and remaining cheese.
We have plenty more Mexican dish recipes. Check out Easy Mexican Recipes Spice Up Dinner Menus.