Mushroom Rice Pilaf
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter
• 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 2 2/3 cups water
• 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
• 2 teaspoons chicken or beef bouillon granules
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• Generous pinch of garlic powder
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add and cook mushrooms and onion until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in water, rice, bouillon granules, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in lemon juice, to taste.
3. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Looking for more out-of-the-ordinary Christmas recipes? Try some of our other Non-Traditional Holiday Recipes.