Old-Fashioned Peach Pie Recipe
- Prepared pastry for 9-inch double-crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 cups peeled, sliced peaches
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit.
- Roll out enough pastry dough to form a bottom crust, and line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate with it. Brush with beaten egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss peaches with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to peaches, and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Pour peach filling into bottom crust, and dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry dough to form a top crust, and place over filling, folding edges under. Flute edges to seal, and brush with remaining egg. Cut several slits in top crust to vent steam.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit, and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and juice is bubbling through vents.
- Cool slightly. Serve warm, plain or topped with whipped cream or ice cream.