Cookies naturally lose moisture as they age, causing them to crisp and harden. To ensure a soft cookie from the get-go, do not overbake them. Also, store your cookies, layered between sheets of waxed paper, in an airtight container at room temperature, with a slice of bread placed on the top layer of waxed paper. The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread, and they will stay moist longer.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
These cookies are soft and chewy, with a kiss of chocolate in the center.
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling dough balls
• 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1-3/4 cups flour, sifted
• 1 teaspoon salt
• Chocolate kisses
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with baking mats or parchment paper, if desired. Do not grease baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream sugars with shortening. Mix in egg. Blend in peanut butter, milk and vanilla.
3. In another bowl, whisk together sifted flour and salt until thoroughly combined. Add to creamed mixture, and mix well.
4. Shape dough into balls, and roll in additional granulated sugar. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just set. The cookies will look like they’re not done, but they are. Don’t overbake them; baking them until they’re just set ensures a soft cookie.
6. Remove from oven, and immediately press a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing firmly enough that the cookies crack around the edges. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Make sure to stock up on holiday goodies this year! See Easy Christmas Candy Recipes and Holiday Cookie Recipes for more ideas.