Family Table (Lyons, 2018), by Shaye Elliot invites you to pull up a chair and take part in the anecdotes and bounty that have been grown, cured, and cooked on the Elliot Homestead. Using simple ingredients, Elliot gathers over 70 of her whole-food recipes that celebrate traditional garden-to-kitchen techniques and healthy eating to share in rich print and vibrant photos. Eliot’s experience building a sustainable farm with her husband and children has provided her with the know-how to bring the Elliot Homestead to life with farming, cooking, and healthy-living advice in her blog and three books. Her first book, From Scratch, shares her motivation in creating a farm-to-table lifestyle for her family. Eliot’s latest book, Welcome to the Farm¸ serves as a guide for readers wishing to build a homestead for themselves.
We began growing sunchokes (also known as Jerusalem artichokes) a few years ago and quickly fell in love. If sunchokes aren’t available at your local market, you can easily substitute with fingerling potatoes. This dish is perfect alongside a grilled steak and best enjoyed out in the garden during the summertime.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh unpeeled sunchokes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stemmed
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sunchokes, 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, generous pinches of the sea salt and black pepper, and the minced garlic. Toss to coat and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden and slightly crispy.
- Return the sunchoke slices, and all the residual liquid from the baking sheet, to the large bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice, the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, thyme leaves, and tomatoes. Gently toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, as desired, and serve immediately.
More from Family Table:
• Breakfast Quinoa with Eggs and Smoked Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
• Homemade Chorizo Recipe
• Cilantro Aioli Recipe
• Asparagus Soup with Poached Eggs Recipe
• Oven-Fried Zucchini with Cilantro Aioli Recipe
• Instant Berry Ice Cream Recipe
• Red Wine and Honey-Poached Pears and Plums Recipe