This traditional favorite is a meal in itself, and it's one your family is sure to love.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 jar (12 oz.) home-style beef gravy
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until well-browned and thoroughly cooked through. Carefully drain fat and return beef to skillet on stovetop.
- Stir in gravy and vegetables; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- While beef mixture is still in the skillet, spoon on the prepared mashed potatoes, forming 8 mounds. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes.
- Continue to simmer mixture until potatoes are hot and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
This recipe originally aired in the February 2008 issue of Heart of the Home.