Zucchini Spaghetti & Meatballs
There is a new tool on the market called a “spiralizer” that turns zucchini into pasta-like ribbons. This is a perfect solution for anyone trying to reduce their calories or incorporate more vegetables into their diet.
• 1 pound ground meat (beef, turkey, pork or chicken, or a combination)
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• Italian seasonings or fresh herbs, minced, to taste
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed and run through a spiralizer
• 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground meat, egg, breadcrumbs, sea salt and seasonings. Mix together with your hands or a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined.
3. Scoop out two tablespoons meat mixture and form into a meatball; place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining meat mixture.
4. Bake meatballs for 8 minutes; turn over and bake for an additional 8 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
5. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add carrots and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and cook for an additional minute.
6. Add the zucchini and toss all together; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese and toss again.
7. Divide mixture evenly among 4 serving bowls, and top evenly with meatballs. Drizzle with a little high-quality olive oil and coarse sea salt, and serve immediately.
Want more great zucchini recipes? Check out Easy Zucchini Recipes to Use Up That Surplus.