Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups (315 mL) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/113 g) unsalted butter, preferably pastured
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, quinoa flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until just blended.
- Add butter to a 9-inch (23-cm) cast-iron frying pan and place in oven until butter melts. Remove from oven and pour all but about 1 tablespoon butter into batter, gently folding it in.
- Pour batter into pan, reduce oven temperature to 375 F (190 C), and return pan to oven. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until edges start to brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve straight from pan.
More from Decolonize Your Diet:
- • Chocolate Amaranth Cake Recipe• Mexican Tortilla Soup Recipe• Classic Homemade Guacamole Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Decolonize Your Diet: Plant-Based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel, published by Arsenal Pulp Press, 2015.