Skillet Cornbread with Honey Recipe
1 / 2
Cornbread a cast iron cooking staple.
Photo by Fotolia/Brent Hofacker
2 / 2
This Book Cooks, by Kerry Dunnington, is completely accessible, easy to navigate, and an inspiring cover-to-cover culinary read. Divided into nine chapters, from appetizers to desserts.
Cover courtesy Artickoke Publishers
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow corn flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- Honey and butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously oil a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, corn flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and oil.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the egg mixture and stir just to combine.
- Transfer batter to cast-iron skillet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove skillet from oven.
- Move oven rack to the top rung and switch oven temperature to broil. Brown the top of the cornbread for about 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully—there is a narrow window between a brown top and scorched one.
- Using chopsticks or a fork, prick the cornbread in several places. Drizzle desired amount of honey over cornbread. Serve immediately with butter
More from This Book Cooks:
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Reprinted with permission from This Book Cooks by Kerry Dunnington and published by Artichoke Publishers, 2015.