8 servings SERVINGS
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 pound chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 8 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce, or to taste, optional
- 4 cups hot, cooked rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown smoked sausage, onion and green pepper. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Add flour, stirring constantly, to make a roux.
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage mixture, roux, celery, tomatoes and water. Add garlic, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning, salt, thyme, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, if using. Stir in rice.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.