Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe
1 / 2
Soft sugar cookies decorated with white frosting and colorful sprinkles are perfect for any Christmas celebration.
Photo by Linda Smith
2 / 2
About 2 dozen cookies
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces cream cheese, very soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond emulsion or almond extract
- 1 teaspoon crème bouquet flavoring (see note following instructions)
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Dash of salt
- Orange juice, optional
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line cookie sheets with baking mats or parchment paper, if desired. Do not grease cookie sheets.To make Cookies:2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda, and whisk to blend thoroughly. Cut in shortening. Add egg, cream cheese and vanilla, and mix well.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness, and cut out cookies using holiday cookie cutters. Place cookies, 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. (They’ll look like they aren’t done, but they are. Do not over-bake them, or they’ll be crunchy instead of soft.)
- Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.To make Frosting:6. Combine confectioners’ sugar, shortening, water, vanilla, almond emulsion, cr?me bouquet and butter flavorings, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy, about 5 to 7 minutes. If the frosting is too thick, thin it down with a bit of orange juice.
- Color frosting as desired, then frost and decorate cooled cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Store any leftover frosting, covered tightly with plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.Note: Crème bouquet flavoring is available in cake and candy supply stores and online. You can make a similar version by combining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon almond extract and 1 teaspoon butter extract.Make sure to stock up on holiday goodies this year! See Easy Christmas Candy Recipes and Holiday Cookie Recipes for more ideas.