Spicy Skillet Cornbread Recipe
1 / 2
Get some good use out of your cast-iron skillet with this Spicy Skillet Cornbread Recipe.
Photo by Fotolia/Cobraphoto
2 / 2
4 to 6 servings
- Oil or butter, for coating skillet
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 hot peppers, finely diced, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Rub a little oil or butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven, and preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk, egg and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture, mixing well. Add onion, peppers and cheese, and stir to combine.
- Remove hot skillet from oven, and carefully pour in batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it’s golden.
- Let cornbread stand at room temperature for 2 to 3 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.More skillet recipes:Cast Iron Recipes