The Ultimate BLT Recipe
1 / 2
Serve up a tasty BLT for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Photo by Nick Pope
2 / 2
“Curing and Smoking Made at Home” is filled with tips and tricks for curing and smoking your own homemade meats.
Courtesy of Firefly Books
- 2 small ciabatta rolls (but any bread will do)
- A little olive oil
- 6 slices smoked bacon (Cold-Smoked Bacon)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) mayonnaise
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 handfuls mixed salad leaves
For the Guacamole
- 1 ripe avocado
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 mild red chili
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut your ciabatta rolls in half lengthways and toast them on both sides until golden.
- While the rolls are toasting, heat a drop of oil in a pan. Add the bacon and fry until cooked to your preference. Remove the bacon from the pan and keep it warm.
- Next, make the guacamole by spooning out the avocado flesh and chopping it roughly with the cilantro, lime juice, chili and red onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the garlic and mix it with the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the bread and put under the grill for a couple of minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes into large circular disks and then plate up your BLT.
- Start by layering salad leaves on top of the warm garlic mayonnaise and placing tomato slices on top.
- Next add the bacon and a generous dollop of guacamole.More from Curing and Smoking Made at Home:Pastrami on Rye Recipe
- How to Make Pastrami
- Introduction to Cold Smoking
Reprinted with Permission from Curing and Smoking Made at Home and Published by Firefly Books.