White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained well
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Place chicken on bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne. Add onion, garlic, broth, beans, green chiles, corn, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, and return to slow cooker. Stir in cream cheese and half-and-half.
- Cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes, or until chili is slightly thickened. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh-baked cornbread.
Photo by Getty Images/ALLEKO
For more supper idea recipes, see Simple Ideas for Supper.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. With access to thousands of archived recipes from the magazine, she’s always trying something new.