6-8 servings SERVINGS
- 2 cups packed chopped wild onions
- 1⁄2 pound bacon
- Prepared pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cream or whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme, or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated or crumbled cheese of your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cook wild onions until tender, either simmering them in broth or sautéing them in butter, and set aside.
- In a skillet or the microwave, cook the bacon until crisp. Allow slices to cool, then crumble into bits, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place cooking rack in center of oven. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry, and crimp the edges; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, thyme, and a little salt and pepper. Stir in cooked onions and bacon. Add cheese.
- Pour mixture into pastry-lined pan, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until eggs are set and nicely browned.Interested in more ways to cook with nature? Check out The Value of Edible Plants to find more editor-recommended recipes for this spring.