Dress up plain terra cotta pots by covering them with fabric, using a specially formulated decoupage glue for the outdoors, in which the glue will seal it and make it weatherproof. This project is perfect for using up fabric scraps, and the pots make great gifts for anyone who loves plants.
Tools & Materials
- Masking tape
- Tissue paper
- Terra cotta pot
- Mod Podge Outdoor decoupage glue
- Tape one end of the tissue paper to a clean terra cotta pot.
- Wrap the tissue paper all the way around the pot until it meets on the other side, and then tape it down to secure it.
- Trace around the rim of the pot with a pencil.
- Trace around the bottom of the pot.
- Carefully remove the tape and tissue paper from the pot. Cut out the template you just traced from the tissue paper.
- Wrap the template around the pot to check the fit. Trim if needed.
- Lay the template on top of the fabric, trace it, and then cut it out.
- Apply a generous layer of decoupage glue to one section of the pot.
- Place the center of the fabric over the glue, and position it so it lines up with the bottom lip of the rim. Then, smooth it down onto the surface of the pot, to the bottom edge.
- Apply decoupage glue to the next section of the pot, position the next section of fabric onto the glue, and smooth it down. Repeat all the way around the pot.
- Apply a generous layer of decoupage glue all over the top of the fabric to seal it and make it weatherproof. Set aside to dry and cure for 24 hours.
- Add soil and a plant to the pot, and place it where you want it.
Debbie Wolfe is writer, crafter, home chef, and gardener. This article is excerpted with permission from her book, Do-It-Yourself Garden Projects and Crafts (Skyhorse Publishing).
Do-It-Yourself Garden Projects and Crafts Planters, Birdhouses, Lotion Bars, Garlands, and More
Improve and decorate your garden and home with easy projects and beautiful crafts. Featuring 60 practical and decorative projects, author Debbie Wolfe shows you how to bring the outdoors inside with natural fabric dyes, pressed flower paper, herbal bouquets, foraged garlands, herb napkin rings, an all-purpose thyme cleaner, herbal lotion bars, and a hand scrub perfect for gardeners. She also offers yard and garden projects, such as a bird and bee bath, a gourd bird feeder, a tomato cage plant stand, and more. This title is available at our online store CappersFarmer.com or by calling 800-678-4883.