Braided Buns Recipe
Braided Buns. Photo by Getty Images/AnjelaGr.
Yields 12 servings.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a saucepan, heat milk to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove saucepan from heat, and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Pour warm milk into a large bowl. Add honey, and stir to combine and dissolve. Add yeast, and while it’s bubbling, add dry milk, butter, 3 cups flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in another 2-1/2 cups flour, and knead dough for 3 to 4 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Knead for another 3 minutes, or until smooth and springy, adding the remaining flour as needed to keep it from sticking to the kneading surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn to coat all sides. Cover bowl, and let dough rise in a draft-free place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Deflate dough, and divide into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 21-inch-long rope. Join 3 ropes at one end, and braid them, using the classic 3-strand braiding method. Repeat with remaining ropes.
- Cut each braid into 6 equal portions. Pinch the ends of each roll to seal them, and tuck the “tail” under the braid. Place rolls on a greased baking sheet, and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from baking sheets, and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.