Classic Homemade Guacamole Recipe
1 / 2
Made of just avocados, onion, chile, and select spices, this guac is a simple dish and an instant hit.
Photo by Fotolia/Brebca
2 / 2
“Decolonize Your Diet: Plant-Based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing” by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel.
Photo courtesy of Arsenal Pulp Press
2 cups (500 mL)
- 1 fresh serrano chile, stems and seeds removed and minced
- 1/4 white onion, minced
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Using a molcajete or a small salad bowl and fork, mash chile and onion to break down slightly. Add cubes of avocado and smash, leaving some chunks.
- Gently stir in remainder of ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
More from Decolonize Your Diet:
- • Skillet Cornbread Recipe• Chocolate Amaranth Cake Recipe• Mexican Tortilla Soup Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Decolonize Your Diet: Plant-Based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel, published by Arsenal Pulp Press, 2015.