Fiery Fiesta Empanadas Recipe
Fiery Fiesta Empanadas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 4 teaspoons Tabascogreen jalapeño pepper sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
To make crust:
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough sticks together.
- On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll out half the dough to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into two 7-inch rounds. Repeat with remaining dough and scraps. Cover; set aside.
To make filling:
- Brown ground beef and garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, stirring occasionally to break up beef. Stir in scallions, taco sauce, olives, 3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, oregano, cumin and salt until well blended. Stir in cheese.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease a large cookie sheet.
- Stir together egg and remaining teaspoon green jalapeño pepper sauce; set aside.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling on half of each dough round, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Brush border with egg mixture. Fold dough over filling, pressing out air. Crimp edges with fork or fingers to seal.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Queso, Burritos, Tacos and Empanada Recipes
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo by bringing great Mexican flavors to your table with these delicious recipes.
Chicken Tacos With Cucumber Salsa Recipe
Chicken filling topped with a cool salsa make these tacos unique.
Crunchy Salsa Chicken Bake Recipe
A quick and easy Mexican salsa chicken casserole full of flavor.