25 min DURATION
15 min COOK TIME
10 min PREP TIME
6 servings SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk, divided
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 slices whole wheat or white bread, divided
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved; remove pan from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and set Creamy Maple Syrup aside.
For French toast:
- Whisk together eggs, remaining evaporated milk, remaining vanilla and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip 4 slices bread in egg mixture; place in skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bottom side of bread is golden. Flip and cook for 2 additional minutes, or until golden. Remove from skillet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat dipping and skillet methods twice more with remaining butter and remaining bread slices.
- Serve warm with Creamy Maple Syrup. Refrigerate any leftover syrup for another use.This recipe originally ran in the October 2007 edition of Heart of the Home.