Maple Almond Bars Recipe
1 / 2
Make sure to add the delicious glaze to these bars and they are best enjoyed with a tall glass of milk.
Photo by GettyImages/vikif
2 / 2
2 or 3 dozen bars
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar,divided
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 3 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-by-15-inch jellyroll pan; set aside.
- Cream 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until light; beat in egg.
- Add flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, working in with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces; place 1 piece in each quadrant of prepared pan.
- Push dough into pan with floured hands, forming a seamless crust, working it up the sides to the top of the rim.
- Cover with plastic; chill for 15 minutes. Then poke dough 3 or 4 times with a fork; bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix a tiny bit of flour and water together to make a thick paste; rut a little paste into fork holes to close them up.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan; add syrup, remaining brown sugar and honey; bring to a boil.
- Add cream; bring to boiling again and boil for 2 minutes. Quickly remove from heat; stir in almonds and vanilla.
- Pour over crust in pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack; cut into bars.