Maple Homestyle Baked Beans
1 / 2
Make these baked beans as a side dish for a get-together.
Photo by photos Jessica Robinson
2 / 2
“A Farmgirl’s Table” by Jessica Robinson is full of fresh country dishes.
Cover courtesy Gibbs Smith
4 hr 45 min
4 hr 30 min
6 to 8 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) bag navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄ 2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark maple syrup
- 1/2 cup stoneground mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 8 slices Hickory smoked thick-cut bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled, chopped finely
- 1 large green pepper, chopped small
- Onion powder
- Freshly ground black peppe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the water from the beans. Place the beans into a large pot, and cover with fresh water.
- Add the baking soda, and bring water to a boil over high heat. Continue to boil for about 10-12 minutes, removing the foam with a large serving spoon. Drain beans into a colander and rinse.
- Transfer beans into a large ovenproof pot and cover with warm water. Add the molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup, ketchup, mustard, chopped onion, green pepper and bacon; season to taste with onion powder and pepper.
- Cook the beans for about 4 to 5 hours or until beans get really dark in color and the sauce thickens. Check periodically; if the beans dry out during the cooking process, add more water. By the end of the cooking process, the sauce should be thick.
More from A Farmgirl’s Table:
- • Sweet Sausage and Apple Pizza Recipe• Rustic Blueberry Muffins Recipe• Blueberry Cake Doughnuts
Recipes by Jessica Robinson from A Farmgirl’s Table, reprinted by permission of Gibbs Smith.