Mixed Berry Cobbler Recipe
Mixed Berry Cobbler. Photo by Getty Images/ALLEKO.
This is a family favorite. If you use frozen berries, be sure to thaw and drain them first. If you don’t, they’ll thaw as they bake and will produce excess liquid, making the cobbler soupy.
- 2 cups berries (elderberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Place berries in prepared pie plate, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, 3/4 cup sugar, milk, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder, and mix well. Mixture will be thicker than typical batter. Pour over berries in pie plate.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar, remaining salt, and cornstarch, and mix well. Sprinkle over batter. Pour boiling water over all.
- Bake for 30 to 55 minutes, or until top is golden and no longer doughy. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
Learn more about elderberries and find more recipes with Growing, Harvesting, and Using Elderberries.
Apple-Cranberry Cobbler Recipe
If you are looking for a simple dessert, this is it.