Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Learn how to upgrade your Easter potato dish this year to feature sliced potatoes covered in a cheesy au gratin sauce.
- 4-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 4-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 7 to 8 cups peeled, thinly
- sliced potatoes (about 9 medium potatoes)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper, and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, and cook and stir constantly for 2 to 4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in cheese until melted. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Place potatoes and onion in prepared baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the top, and stir gently to combine.
- Cover dish with foil, and bake for 1 hour. Remove potatoes from oven, and stir gently. Return dish to oven, and bake, uncovered, for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before serving.
For more recipes, see Easter Dinner.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. She enjoys cooking and baking, crafting, and just hanging out with her Labrador Retrievers, Boone and Ellie.