Spicy Sage Sausage Flatbread Topped with Fried Eggs Recipe
Shake up the breakfast menu with this recipe that combines sausage, flatbread, and fried eggs for a delicious morning meal.
- 2 large flatbreads, cut in half
- 1 pound ground spicy pork sausage
- 3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Fresh sage leaves, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Chopped chives
- Preheat a grill to medium heat, or warm a large, heavy skillet on the stove over medium heat. Preheat oven to broiling.
- Toast both sides of flatbreads on grill or in skillet. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add sausage and mushrooms, and cook until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles with a fork as it cooks. Stir in dried sage and black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Sprinkle flatbreads evenly with red chile peppers and tomatoes. Top with sausage mixture, cheese, and sage leaves, if using.
- Place baking sheet under broiler, and broil for 4 minutes, or until flatbreads are golden-brown and cheese is melted.
- Add butter to a skillet, and melt over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet, and let membranes fry lightly. Reduce heat to low, and cook until yolks are set.
- Top each flatbread with an egg, sprinkle with a little salt, and garnish with chives.
- Serve immediately.
For more recipes, see Southern-Style Cooking.
Quad Webb is a reality show celebrity and a talk show host on “Sister Circle.” This article is excerpted with permission from her book Cooking with Miss Quad: Live, Laugh, Love, and Eat (The Country-man Press).