25 min DURATION
15 min COOK TIME
10 min PREP TIME
6 servings SERVINGS
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk, divided
- 1 package (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose baking mix, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 12 slices turkey bacon, cooked, divided
- 6 slices thin deli ham, divided
For cheese sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup evaporated milk with 1-1/2 cups cheese and 1 teaspoon baking mix. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and sauce has slightly thickened to a creamy cheese sauce consistency. Remove from heat; cover saucepan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining evaporated milk, water, remaining cheese, egg and mustard. Stir in remaining baking mix until well-blended.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions. Pour about 1-1/4 cups batter onto waffle grid. Cook according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat with remaining batter, while keeping cooked waffles warm in the oven.
- When all waffles are done, spread 2 tablespoons prepared cheese sauce evenly over one side of 6 waffle squares or rounds. Top each with 2 slices bacon and 1 slice ham; cover with remaining waffles squares or rounds to make wafflewiches.Editor's note: A standard waffle maker can also be used, but it will make about 18 standard-size waffles instead of 12 Belgian-size waffles. The amount of batter poured onto the waffle maker will need to be adjusted if using a standard waffle maker.This recipe originally ran in the October 2007 edition of Heart of the Home.
More Recipes from this issue:
- French Toast with Creamy Maple Syrup Recipe
- Southwestern Scramble Recipe
- Suppertime Sausage Bake Recipe