Herbal Sleep Pillows
Simple Pleasures of the Home(Conari Press, 1999) by Susannah Seton is a collection of stories, recipes, crafts, and ideas for your home. These DIY pillows use lavender or hops to help you sleep soundly.
Sleep pillows go back to Colonial times. They were herb-filled pillows that were used by the ill to help them sleep. But you don’t have to be sick to enjoy the benefits! Just put one under your regular pillow so that each time you move your head the luscious scent is released. Here are two recipes you might try.
- 1 cup dried peppermint
- 1 cup dried lavender
- 1 cup lemon verbena or lemon balm
- 1 cup dried lemon or orange peel, ground
- 1 10-by-8-inch piece of muslin
- Combine all herbs in a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. Make sure there are no sharp twigs.
- Fold the muslin in half and sew up two sides. Add the potpourri and slip stitch the open end. The pillow should be relatively flat.
Hops is said to be mildly sleep-inducing, while lavender induces a sense of well-being. Together they make a great sleep pillow.
- 10-by-8-inch piece of muslin
- 4 handfuls dried hop flowers
- 2 handfuls dried lavender
- Fold the muslin in half and sew up two sides.
- Add the hops and lavender and slip stitch the open end. The pillow should be relatively flat.
More from Simple Pleasures of the Home:
Adapted and reprinted with permission from Conari Press, an imprint of Red Wheel/Weiser, Simple Pleasures of the Home by Susannah Seton is available wherever books and ebooks are sold or directly from the publisher at www.redwheelweiser.com or 800-423-7087.
Hanging Herb Planter
Learn how you can grow parsley, basil, and so much more in small spaces with this simple to make vertical herb and plant hanger.
Classified Ads: Herbs, Spices
Classified Ads > Herbs, Spices HOME FARM HERBERY LLC is veteran owned and operated business that offers hand blended seasonings, herbs, herb blends, heirloom seeds and hand blended teas. www.homefarmherbery.com
A Cure for the Midwinter Blues
Planning the garden in January.