- 1 package (16 oz.) pork sausage, divided
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed bread, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, divided, optional
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped, divided, optional
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided, optional
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half of bread evenly in a buttered 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of pepper, half of cheese, half of sausage and half of each optional ingredient.
- Repeat layers using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.
More recipes from this issue:
- Triple Berry Oatmeal Scones
- Berry Brunch Strata
- Grilled Salmon with Blackberry-Mustard Glaze
- Blueberry Rice Chicken Salad
- Sausage Breakfast Pizza
- Maple Sausage Waffles with Cinnamon Apples
- Quick Breakfast Skillet
- Sausage Quiche
More breakfast recipes: